Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Memoirs of ISC 2007 – Chemistry

All bad things come to an end, and I’m glad they do.

Most of us didn’t get much sleep last night. From Zafar’s frantic midnight call to request ‘Isomerism’ sheets, to Ali’s refusal of letting me study, to Unmukt’s first-time-ever five hour marathon of studying and to the last night’s Champion’s League action that I missed, yesterday was terrible. Studying or trying to study for 24 hours is not a friggin’ joke. But I guess, we were the “makers of our own fate” and all that rot. However the common thread uniting most of us commoners was that we really didn’t give/don't give a shit about chemistry. Yes, not the best of attitudes to have, but when the legendary ISC allows you to fail in two out of six subjects, you might as well fail in what deserves to fail in. Obviously we aren’t “failing” but get the vibe.

Today’s morning was especially stressful. The only positive aspect of that is the fact that releasing this stress with the people you love is a rare joy. How else would Sodium Orgasmate been formulated? Or Kablu Khan for that matter, and all the other things that I can't now remember, but which you can enlighten me with. By the way, if interested, ask Romit or Ali for the exact Khan-Sen Synthesis of Sodium Orgasmate.

Everyone was laughing their stress off, by mocking and ridiculing themselves. Aaron was up to his “screwed” best, which he substantiated when he told me that Phthalic Acid was a Monomer of Terylene. Oh and Rubin knew it too, and so did Jeetu. But yup, they were all 'screwed'. Yeah, Ali you are probably going to want to jump me for what you might consider to be my 'hypocrisy', but too bad. Ameya hadn’t studied anything as usual, where as we were all secretly praying in our hearts that Tejas had studied enough to pass. Romit had done the entire portion, much to the annoyance of Ali, whereas Ashiq and I could still not get over his dream. Basically we were all crapping in our pants before we entered the examination hall, how much ever we tried to mask it with the “don’t-care” attitude.

The paper was tough. According to me, it was tough to score very high marks in, but easy to get a good decent score in. It was better than I thought it would be, and I guess most would agree. I did, however, make the stupid mistake of not pacing out my paper well. I did an extra question in Section A before reaching Organic, and then I didn’t have enough time to do Organic properly, a section in which I knew most of the stuff. But no regrets, I am just happy it’s over.

Outside, the aftermath saw the nerds going insane with the answers and started hounding Dr Khan over intricate details. The irony of the day was that for all the “student-friendly” lectures that Dr Khan gave us, Chemistry was the most un-student-friendly paper we have had yet. Bharath, Kaushik and Nikhil had visibly disappointed looks on their faces trying their best to convince themselves that they are losing only “half-a-mark”. Oh, the tension and drama of competition I say!

Meanwhile outside the school gates, Karan was at his volcanic best, abusing and amusing everyone around him, with his "don't-give-a-shit", "atheist" attitude. I remember, in 7th Grade, I annoyed him so much that he once took out his craft-blade, and came out to kill me. Believe me, he did, literally. People had to hold him back. I freaked, obviously. It was probably as bad as the time Rohit Das "choke-slammed" me onto the lockers. The reason - I used tell him to "keep-smiling". Bloody hell, he could never wipe that smirk off his face, so I used to mocking-ly encourage it. Ahh memories!

Today, Ali is not getting full, but Aaron is, and Shayaan seemed to have had a rocking paper, making minimal mistakes. Hmm, maybe the odds require new entries.

For me, this is the first of three “end-of-exams”. I have the whole of the Desert Rock to look forward too, which no doubt will be bloody exciting. Iron Maiden, Robert Plant! We are very lucky here in Dubai; rather we are a little spoilt with all these high profile performers being showered upon us with unbelievable ease. But hey, I am not complaining.

Sleep is essential.

By the way, Wild Wadi was great fun. You should have seen Kaushik’s face after having experienced the “Jumeirah Scare” and realizing that he had mucked up DDT.

P.S. The odds for “Who Will Top?” as they currently stand:
Shayaan: 3.5:1
Shrivats: 2.8:1
Bharath: 3.2:1
Unmukt: 3.3:1
Govind: 3:1
Tejas: 70800 x 10^3: 1

11 comments:

ug said...

chemistry is over! finally! and i'm quite looking forward to the rest, so goodbye to all that :P

paper certainly wasnt too easy, but 'twas ok...not too hard either. thought it was realllly long though...longest chem paper ever infact!

tejas...thanks for the name embossing on my pencil, but you should have worked on your paper instead....the examiner thought we were trying to cheat what with you sending me lil notes and all :P

i thought the karan thing was in grade 8 :S

Anonymous said...

It's wierd..i like reading your ISC post more than anything..seems so exciting. Probably won't be saying that when i'm having mine.
Best of luck for your remaining exams!

Anonymous said...

dont throw stones at me for sayin this but im gonna miss chem!i agree the paper sucked bad,n i dint like it one bit, but i love studying chem at leisure..its interesting..wayyy more than physics anyway!but anyway,no harm in letting go a good subject just to be free!soo toodles!

Govind said...

The exam wasn't bad ... long but yeah, glad that its over!!

And for all you marathon studiers, I studied for 'round 15 hours on a stretch (still don't know how Unmukt and the like can finish chem in 3 hours - ONE chapter takes that long!!) ... but I still WATCHED THE ENTIRE LIVERPOOL BARCA GAME .... haha!!

Thanks God for this break ...

Anonymous said...

A monumental contribution to an otherwise dead subject, the Khan-Sen synthesis of sodium orgasmate seems to have raised eyebrows [among other things], for a number of reasons, most notably for being the first economically via[gra]ble method for the large-scale production of the ever-evasive compound that has been the holy grail of alchemy for many years now. Known as the "philosopher's stone" all over the globe, and as the "cool rock" in the US and A, sodium orgasmate has fetched Mohammed Ali Yar Khan and Romit Sen a bunch of accolades that will be awarded to them in a high-profile award ceremony, along with ashiQ's award for his improved prowess in the field of "long sentences".

anish said...

Unmukt: no it was in 7th..i remember our classroom 7C..have vague pictures in my head..and i remember the shining blade esp:P !

SK: thanks pal! =)

Govind: congrats on the liverpool victory! hope arsenal play also get thru! its half time - no goals yet..but its 90% possession for arsenal! they are playing well but need to score god dammit!

ashiq ahahhaa u rock! you are too good when it comes to words!

Anonymous said...

anish you son of a mother!...dog....HA! arsenal are out! HA!PAH!:p

strange the link between chemistry being over and kahhna's attempted murder...was a bit lost:p ...kind of what i always feel in chem class

absolutely no comment on NaOr! EVS is the most unispiring subject ...the authors make u hate the environment with all their BLAH

anish is getting above 60 in chem

ali is plump

- gomezzzzz

Anonymous said...

chem sucked big time for me and as misery loves company i am glad i am not the only one. thank you for making my day. :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Anish,

Great Blog

I simply must agree with you on your judgement of chemistry.

But the good news is that it is finally over.

HAVE FUN

AJAI

Anonymous said...

DDR was amazin!
(day 1)

MyCatIsAnIdiot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.