Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Past Few Weeks - Student Politics

We have reached 12th grade, and the prefects have already been declared. A couple of students have been disappointed, but on the whole I feel it has been taken well.

According to me, the teachers have reached a very fair and just decision regarding the choice of prefects. They haven't been to generous, nor too stingy. However, they certainly do know how to build the tension - do not declare the 'Head-Boy' and the 'House Captains'.

Discerningly, a few of the students who will not get a badge have changed the attitude completely. An indifferent and conceited attitude has swept over them which is precisely why they don't deserve the badge. However, I do feel sorry for the 'lights-handler or Dinesh's replacement', who has really taken it well, even after some extreme initial frustration. He is now trying to show why he deserves the badge - props to him.

Who is headboy? Eventhough I am considered to be in the running for that coveted honour by a few people, I would quite frankly count myself out of the competition. Whether I feel I deserve it, is only for me to ponder upon and only for me to conclude - or rather, it doesn't matter. To an extent, it's all about what impression you give because it's nearly impossible for a teacher to know every student inside out and extremely fairly come to a decision. Moreover, it is near impossible to be liked by every single teacher because for that we need to take into consideration both the teacher's and the student's attitude, not only the student's.

It's 'near' impossible, because 1 person has sort off pulled it off - and he is a part of the potential 'wonder couple' - if you know what I mean. It's not necessarily good - but hats off to him - because it is difficult. My money is on him - or rather I am pretty confident about it. Or you never know, the talented Mr Verbose from Orion House may be the surprise package.

I have to admit that the prospect of being head-boy did fill me up with a little hope and tension, but now I can almost say - the school-prefect-headboy tension is over. Sometimes irritation and frustration did make me unstable, for I felt I did give a lot to this school. But now, honestly, it doesn't matter. All that matters of my experiences in school is how much I have learnt from them, and unpomphously - that's a lot.

In true essence, it doesn't matter what I become (as in, in school), because it will not stop me from what I aspire to do in school. And for that matter, it shouldn't matter to anyone what they become - as long as they know who they are and what they want to do.

Please feel to comment or confront me with your views.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with the intial part of this entry. although you really can use names u know....."the lights handler" was just too lameeeeee.

the head boy part. i dont know wheather you've written to remove the expectation from people because it seems like that. my opinion anyway. definitely youve got our support and most of us know that you definitely do deserve the head boy honour above the other contenders not just because of the oh so many things youve done but the inspiring leadership as well. (aquila vs cygnus - cricket:P:P:P)

shrivats ofc could pull off a CRASH ...and ritesh is the other contender ofc... ...also just a note for u - its quite pointless writing about something many of your readers wont understand - "potential wonder couple" .

anwyays the most important part was the last paragraph ....totallyyy agree with it!.... anwyays thtz all for now

seeya

gomezzzzzz

anish said...

gomezzzzz - i havent totally written this post to get rid of the expectations - its what i have concluded from the approach of teachers in general - its my feeling from the way the teachers are behaving with me. Not in a bad way or anything...but they themselves are conscious of who has this 'coveted' honour - so they do indirectly give off a vibe - but they are very good at keeping it a secret - like from my discernment, i think i can say - not 100%, but my feeling, that the teacher's day stand up comedian hit is cygnus house captain. I might be wrog, but i get that vibe.

Anyway its complicated..

Anonymous said...

good lord anish
u could as well have mentioned my name. but seriously i do agree with what u said about teachers indirectly hinting at the positions people might hold - even though i may be victim/ party to it. sigh our school......

Anonymous said...

Sigh indeed, more for what happens when life suddenly hits...

The 'talented' Mr. Verbose from Orion House doesn't even consider himself to be in the running however, he'll be over the moon just with Orion itself, what with the current state of competition, anyway, who cares for now, it's all decided, we'll know next week.

P.S. I've got a quiz on Friday anyway, so that's what I'm really worrying about now.

Anonymous said...

Well I really don't have much to say except that I'm v.v. confused as to all ze positions as i feel there are many people worthy of them. (shall name no names as that's to coin a term "obvious")

Second the "complicated" bit though.

Anonymous said...

Ello Anish! Frankly, it comes down to attitude as you said! If you begin to slack off and give up the responsibilities you've taken, because you haven't gotten the job, when you do eventually move forward in life, you're going to have a problem! On the other hand if you go on unhindered by it, what's going to stop you? At the end of the day the words Head and Boy can only get you so far, after that it's all you and your attitude! To whoever does get the position, don't depend on it too much! Great post again!
Bye!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks