Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Losing Wallets

This summer in Dubai, I tragically lost my oh-so-very-importnat wallet. All my IDs, a good Dhs 500 (approximately $135), a Dhs 250 Food Voucher and a bunch of important receipts all disappeared into the thick, polluted air of Dubai. Thanks to my mum's sensational forward thinking, I was not carrying my debit card, otherwise the tragedy would have indeed been more tragic.

Yes, it was indeed a tragedy. If not a legitimate one, it was definitely an emotional one. I felt truly miserable and ridiculously pathetic. The thought of getting my foreign IDs made again added to the misery. The Dhs. 750 I lost defined my ultimate guilty feeling. Yes, it was a very sad day.

Obviously, someone did find the wallet. They obviously took the money and with a slight feeling of guilty disposed of the Texas-customized leather wallet. But I hoped against hopes that that somebody would have the decency to somehow get in touch with me, and with a delightfully charming smile, deliver to me, my lost life. Maybe he could Facebook me: "Dude, found your wallet. Want it?" Hell, I'd rather he take the money, but at least return the IDs and my beloved Texas-customized wallet.

So for the next couple of days, I signed into Facebook with great hope in mankind and belief in humanity. It was pretty useless. The "Secret" wasn't working. Obviously.

Fastforward to last week: So I was at UT-Austin, preparing for an ISA event in the Jester Auditorium, when I came across a wallet. No, it wasn't mine. But it was this random girl's wallet. The memories of the summer tragedy came rushing back. Karma was testing me - I better have ignited it's positive stream. So, I did what the loser-guy-who-stole-my-wallet did not do. I facebooked the random girl and with the great sweetness that humans can sometimes express, I informed her about my discovery.

I did not steal the money - it was already stolen when I found it (not that I would have stolen it - Hey, I'm being good here). But, like a good little karmic soul, I returned the favor that was never ever showered on me.

This, now, obviously sets up a delicious platform for me to dive into some great philiosophical thoughts on philanthropy, humanity, life, principles and ethics. And I will. Maybe some other time though.

P.S. A random incident-post after a while - I know. I just wrote this to be half-constructive, but I am still confused as to what motivated me to write this in this greatly busy period.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good on you ! :) .. btw nice article on nazar

bharath

Sid said...

SAMBA Credit card misguiding Dubai consumers
SAMBA advertised every where in Dubai 5% cash back for there credit card. Somewhere they claim they that it up to 5% . But this dsicount comes as follow:
0 to 5000 AED 0.55%
5000 to 10000 AED 2%
10000 to 15000 AED 3%
15001 and above AED 5%

Now will get the discount? The answer is NO . You will get Cash Points! You can accumulate cash points but accordning to SAMBA a maximum of 2000 AED can be converted to a dicount on your bill . So if you thought you will be getting what SAMBA has advertised for then dream on. The question is there a watch dog to what it gets advertised in Dubai?

Anonymous said...

dude i like lost my wallet too...
hav u foound it...
its more like a womans purse...
pink...
oh yeah ur pics in it..
screw i shoulndt hav said that.. but wat the hell...

Unknown said...

cool

nimi said...

same here i too went to a craft exibition n i don't know wht came to mind n i left the purse der! it had around 600 bugs ! god! mom was yelling at me! anywayzz i went back n hey i got the purse back! the person gave it up ! i was the happiest person tht time on earth!