Friday, April 06, 2007

A Live Crash-Course on the NBA

I am admittedly a little blogstipated. It’s just that I don’t want to rant about how everyone is leaving, and how I am supposedly “lonely” and all that rot. So I choose to blog about NBA Live 07.

Firstly, it is highly weird to see any computer game besides the Fifa franchise or the PES franchise installed on my computer, but the reason why this NBA game has successfully fought its way into my Godly-awesome computer is that I know two shits about the NBA, i.e. nothing about the NBA.

Now I have decided to head to States, Austin-Texas to be precise, to take up Sport Management as my undergrad degree. Yeah I love sport, and sport fascinates me bla bla, but two sports that I genuinely hate are American Football and Baseball. I can’t pinpoint any reason, and yeah you can screw me on my stubborn-ness, but keeping all that aside, this hatred of mine needs to change. My brain needs to sprout a new leaf that will embrace these “sports”, one being a wrestling-wannabe of Rugby, and the other just a mockery of throw-your-bat-Cricket. Basketball, on the other hand, - I play it. I don’t love it, but I am somewhat starting to like it, thanks to NBA Live 07.

NBA, in general, is energy personified. Players running up and down the court, flying towards the hoop and dunking their buttuties off, is quite a sight. The fakes, the moves, and the crowd’s grooves, makes the sport seem so fun. The commentators make it even better - bloody good, they are. Ask Tejas. The spirit is glaringly overflowing, and there is this distant equality among the teams. Yes, there are the usual favorites and the supreme teams, but it’s almost like every team seems to have half a chance of upsetting the giants. Good shit, quite contrary to Cricket. Upsetting India doesn’t count, they suck. Oh wow, that’s something to blog about. Later.

NBA Live 07 succeeds in bringing out all the above facts. It transcends NBA 2003 that Aaron Gomes possesses, and brings you freakishly close to the NBA atmosphere. Wow, that was friggin’ formal. Anyway I enjoy playing it, because firstly, I get to know more about the NBA so I can enter the States as an informed chappie, and secondly, because Tracy McGrady kicks ass.

Oh, now since I have somewhat taken a liking for the NBA, I need to have a favorite team, right? Now you can’t just start supporting a team, there is always something that draws you to a particular team, and unfortunately you need to wait for that. I haven’t watched much of NBA, but I know I am going to Texas. Houston Rockets are from Texas, so yeah, it kinda adds up to: “Anish, support them”. Also, Yao Ming is tall, and Asian, like me. For all American readers, I am Indian, and India is a part of Asia, so that makes me an Asian, even though I don’t have chinky eyes. Sheesh.

Anyway to conclude this random post, if you want to learn more about a particular sport, play its computer game. It suddenly becomes a lot easier and can be a bucketful of fun. Next on my list are Madden 07 and the latest release of Triple Play. Maybe I’ll review those too, actually no, I am not that blogstipated.

P.S. I know my next post. Sneak peak: The Cricket World Cup is boring… =P. Sorry Bharath.

5 comments:

Tejas said...

Yeah...this game seriously is awesome. I was especially blown away by the commentary, everything is detailed, something that is lacking in FIFA!
As for basketball, I personally have never played it. One because I don't know the rules or anything, second cause I'm short and football didn't require much jumping.
All in all I think NBA Live is technically a better game than FIFA but man...FIFA still kicks ass.
:P

anish said...

Udai: Dubai is all about the money! =P I'm glad I am leaving it.

Tejas Yeah, Fifa still kicks ass. Thinking about bball replacing football in any minute way is a sin. will miss u! :(

Tandon Amen on the PS, well umm, half-amen! :P

Zoe said...

Anish! You have a blog! Why didn't you tell me!?

So I'm with you on football (American football), which I find rather boring. But baseball... baseball is a truly lovely sport. You need to stop thinking of it as a poor imitation of cricket and understand that it is its own mysterious Zen-like game, with its own rhythms and beauty.

I've been watching baseball since forever. My dad, a huge sports fan, had two girls and no boys. As the youngest, I felt obligated -- and honored -- to be his sports companion.

You must attend a baseball game in person to really appreciate it, though. Again, stop thinking of it as cricket's poor cousin, and try to appreciate it for its own sake. Baseball rules are somewhat esoteric and hard to understand (read about the infield fly rule as an example), and you will need to appreciate that before you can love baseball.

All I'm trying to say is, give it a try.

In return, I'm willing to try to understand how you can love a game that moves so slowly it can take two days to complete! Give me a few tips; I'm sure I know less about cricket than you do about baseball.

Zoe said...

P.S. Anish, I'm American, and I know Indians are Asian. What I don't know is what y'all are doing in Dubai! How did your family end up in Dubai?

Remember -- I'm American, so I'm ignorant ;)

anish said...

Lyralei I have to give baseball a try, and I will. Relax, I hate cricket as much as baseball, which is not that much, but still.

The Asian bit was because of the generalization that "some" Americans make, classifying Indians as Indians, and the Chinese, Japanese, etc as Asians.

How am I in Dubai? Dad got a job here, so we migrated. That's about it.

Thanks for commenting! :P